The MS in Network Engineering and Management
trains professionals to meet current industry demands for innovative network designs and the development of new network applications and services for business enterprises and the network providers that serve them. This program offers theoretical and applied study of the design, configuration and management of converged communication networks. Students completing this degree program have a thorough understanding of the technical and operational aspects of networks as well as the foundational theory of voice/data communications and network management.
After completing a common set of foundation courses, students can specialize in a variety of technical areas including network protocols, analysis, management, and security on both wired and wireless network infrastructures. Students can gain experience with network devices and servers in lab facilities focused on enterprise network, security, and multimedia network services. Through a combined emphasis on both theory and hands-on laboratory experiences, students gain expertise in a variety of specialized networking technologies, including the Internet, private network, and local area network arenas. Students who do not already have industry certifications in networking will also be guided by their faculty advisor through the process of selection and testing to pursue these certifications after appropriate coursework has been completed. Students acquire a broad range of skills including:
- A solid foundation in network design and operations
- A thorough understanding of security issues on both wired and wireless networks
- A comparative analysis of current carrier network service offerings, with an understanding of the service level vs. pricing tradeoffs inherent in each service
- A detailed understanding of the function, operations and management of network infrastructure components, including routers, switches, access points, and servers
- A strategic view of future networking trends in the Internet, wireless, security and local network services arenas
Learn more about admission to this program.
Online Learning Options
This degree can be completed entirely online. CDM online degrees are delivered mostly through COL-enabled courses, although other delivery technologies are also used. If a course is COL-enabled, any student registered in the course has access to the course playback. Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the COL resource wherever available. To complete this degree a student may take any combination of online and on campus courses. For more information on online learning at CDM visit the Online Learning page.